Skip to main content

The Code



The thing that I'd like to talk about and hopefully get some feedback on is the QR code and it's use in marketing. QR, for quick response, is the symbol you see from time to time on posters and in ads which can be scanned by a phone or tablet in order to open a web page. They have many industrial uses due to the amount of information they can pack into a small space but it's marketing that concerns me at this time.

QR codes have been the subject of a great deal of both hype and conjecture in the past 5 years from being hailed as the future of marketing to yesterday's news. I think that the truth may still be somewhere in the middle.

I'll say now that I'm a believer in the technology and what it can bring to the table if used well and there are several reasons why I think it can make a comeback. The foremost complaint I've heard about the QR experience is that the resulting page is not optimized for the mobile device. Today, with the use of HTML5 and many other core web technologies, it's much easier and more more common to have web sites detect that the visitor is on a mobile device and provide the appropriate content. This, coupled with continued market penetration of smarter smart phones will only make the experience increasingly satisfying for users.

On the other hand, the "Fad" status that QR codes developed may be the hardest obstacle for them to overcome if they do have a chance of reaching their potential. Companies who have been swayed into including them in an inappropriate context may well shy away from trying them again given the type of ridicule leveled at "fails". Marketers can learn from these http://mashable.com/2012/03/04/funniest-qr-code-fail/

Another complaint which is being addressed is the difficulty of scanning the code in the first place, when codes were first introduced the apps required to scan the code were not included on the phone. It's taken many years but now Iphones and Android devices will ship with the app preloaded. What I would like to see is to take this one step further and have QR recognition built into the camera application, this would make the most sense because the camera is always easy to find and open, sometimes easier than the phone.

The reason I've been pondering the QR code of late is that they make up an integral part of the vision I have for a niche marketing project; a large scale project including web portal, webzine and direct marketing. If QR codes are dead or near dead it begs the question, can they do more harm than  good? Heeding the cautions discussed above, I think they can be used effectively to guide consumers to a landing page with deals and info but the negative connotations have me wondering if the bright future is still too far away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purposes of The Corporation revised

The "Purposes" of a not-for-profit corporation, in our case, The Sweetwater Creative Collective, is a legal statement of the way in which The Collective intends to fulfill its Mission. Our Mission is to help people share their abundance in order to ease suffering. None can deny that we exist within a latticework of suffering; homelessness, addiction and poverty surround us, we're experiencing a suicide and mental health pandemic. The suffering touches everyone in some way, this begs the question, how does one go about easing suffering? Before we're able to address any of these issues individually, we must first ask ourselves, what's the root cause of so much suffering? In a word, dysfunction. The level of suffering is increasing, dysfunctional families have become the norm, the mental health pandemic is fueling ubiquitous self-medication in all stratum of our socioeconomic paradigm. Dysfunction begets dysfunction, how do we fight an onslaught which comes from with

Diary Note

 My fears are not in my mind, my mind is a slave to my fears. I feel the rebound of my Spiritual highs, this feels like one, the lack of ethanol and caffeine dragging my psyche down. THC up, sitting in the library "listening" to the pressure in my heart, if feels like a web of tensions spreading across my back.  Years ago, when I first started to self-medicate, I was able to let my rational mind, this allowed me to perceive the sensation I was experiencing as a sentient presence which moved as my mind's eye espied it.  unfinished thoughts...

The Port Maitland Declaration

 The Port Maitland Declaration We, the undersigned, On behalf of all parents of draft-age children and all children of draft-age parents, ask the Secretary General of The United Nations to put forth a resolution that no member nation shall take part in armed conflict with anything more technologically advanced than sharp sticks and tin-can walkie-talkies. Love Tomorrow for J-man Weib, The Dude, Gonzo and Jack